Monday, September 26, 2011

Tattoo time!

BF has been wanting to get his first tattoo ever since his grandfather died eight years ago, so when I heard about this, I was very excited to take him to get it. I currently have two tattoos myself and will soon be getting my third and largest one next week. It will actually be a two-parter and I will have to come back one or two weeks later to get the tattoo completed. But this post isn't about me, although it should always be about me quite frankly, but rather about BF's first experience at the tattoo parlour.

So you may be wondering why if his grandfather died eight years ago and we've been dating since the the middle of June, why we took so long for him to get this tattoo. Well the reason is simple, we had to find the right guy. And by right guy, I mean the one that did my two tattoos because I am a bit picky when it comes to permanent decorative scars on my body. For those of you in the market for a new tattoo and living in the Maryland area I highly suggest Brady Duncan at Orange Tattoo Company.  



Brady did my two (soon to be three) tattoos when he worked at a place in Baltimore and I hunted him down at this new place in Annapolis. Little did I know that this new place was the gay tattoo mecca. As we waited for Brady to draw out BF's tattoo, we took a look at the wall inside the studio and saw some things that seemed to good to be true. 


The owner of Orange Tattoo, Frankie Orange, tattooed a number of celebrities because he used to manage concert tours. He was the one that did Justin Timberlake's famous cross tattoo on his arm, as well as Britney Spear's first and well-known fairy tattoo. The owner of this tattoo parlour tattooed Justin & Britney. How freaking cool is that? I was in the presence of superstars. I have to admit, I was having a quick change of heart when I found out this was the owner of the parlour. Brady was great and all and did a great job with both my tattoos, but how cool would it be to be tattooed by the same guy that did Britney and Justin? I later found out that Mr. Orange no longer can tattoo due to some type of muscle damage or something, so I felt even more comfortable knowing that Brady was considered good enough to be working at this establishment. 


Well the time finally came when Brady was ready to start carving into BF's back and I figured BF would be fine since my first tattoo was on my back and although very uncomfortable, I eventually almost fell asleep during the process. Clearly my initial impression of BF's tattoo pain tolerance was dreadfully and somewhat hilariously wrong.


BF began by taking his shirt off and commenting how chilly he was. Within five minutes, after the process had begun, beads of sweat started to form on his forehead. Less than five minutes later, the sweating was so intense that I had to pat his head dry so that the sweat didn't run into his eyes. Brady began tattooing the coordinates first and after about 3/4 of the way done with that part of the tattoo, BF had to take a break. While I'm talking about the coordinates, let me explain the tattoo. The cross is the same that was on BF's grandfather's coffin and the coordinates are the birth and death place of his grandfather. I really thought it was a great idea and a great way to pay homage to his lost family member.

So there was still a good 20 minutes of tattooing that needed to be done to finish the tattoo and BF was fading fast. During his initial break, he seriously considered coming back for the remainder of the tattoo. I convinced him that would only be worse and he should bite the bullet. His tattoo experience quickly turned into the equivalent of how a gay man would act if he were actually giving birth. He was holding my hand, squeezing my thumbs to the point that he almost broke one and breathing Lamaze style, all while giving me the stare of death. If his eyes could speak, they would be screaming in my ear, "Get this tattoo out of me!"


Of course, as soon as the tattoo was finished, BF was already talking about getting another one. So we made sure BF tipped appropriately for the amount of drama that Brady had to deal with and I made a deposit for my third tattoo. Best quote from that day was when Brady said, "At least you didn't faint or vomit on yourself." My appointment is for October 3rd. I'm presuming I won't be such a girl, but I am going by myself, so I'll never admit it if I am. Until next time... TGG.



No comments:

Post a Comment